Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Starfall.com

Starfall.com is an amazing educational website full of games that teach preschool to the "reading on your own" stage. Most games teach phonics which has been great with teaching my own kids to read. (Side note, I also recommend the book, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann--$14.96 on Amazon). Starfall also has loads of fun lessons on poetry, art, the body and music. I LOVE that my then 2 year old daughter knew who wrote the classical "Can Can". In the priorities of child training and life, it's not too important but it is a fun little extra! (BTW, it's Jacques Offenbach). You could even teach your child to recognize Beethoven's 9 symphonies! (I didn't). I could go on and on about starfall.com! With the younger kids, parents can sit with them and maneuver the mouse. When your child learns to maneuver the mouse, he can do the games on his own because the directions are said aloud on the site! My three kids, ages 7, 5, and 4 love this site and between the 3 of them, they could spend hours on this site exploring and learning! Most times, I have them each take a 20 minute turn being the "mouser" (a term my 4 yr old made up for the person controlling the mouse), as they all interact with the lesson. Check it out and have fun learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment